Radiofrequency identification (RFID) technology or proximity cards is a wireless communication technology that is used to track individual items and collect all the information related to them. The technology known as the Internet of Things (IoT) is used to automatically link things to the world by using RFID or proximity cards and makes it possible to create new ways of working. It is a technology that uses radio waves to identify the tagged object. Several industrial and commercial applications are used to track the items and maintain the supply chain till they reach the destination.
RFID and Proximity cards are now well-known and popular names in the digital world. But do you know that this technology has been used for ages? In 1945, Léon Theremin was the first who develop the first RFID which uses radio waves to track the presence of any object. However, later in the 1970s, the technology was modified and Charles Walton invented the first passive RFID tags. This was the technology which is used to track the goods during warehouse management or shipment. Electromagnetic energy is used in the technology which is transmitted from nearby RFID readers to operate. In 1980, the technology was used to track the animals and since 1990 it has been used for contactless payment systems. Presently, RFID technology is explored worldwide and it is used in many applications such as monitoring the access to assets, tracking the location of anything in large facilities or movement of goods, etc.
RFID cards are composed of three components: an antenna, a transceiver, and a transponder. They all work together to give the best output. A combination of an antenna and a transceiver is known as an RFID reader or interrogator. The RFID reader is a device that is connected to a network and can be both portable or permanently attached. These readers use radio waves to transmit the signals which helps in activating the tags. Once the tags are activated they resend the wave to the antenna where they are translated into data. The readers are divided into two parts: fixed readers and mobile readers. The transponder works in the RFID tags. The range of the tags depends on the factors that include tag types, reader types, RFID frequency, and interference in the surrounding environment or from other tags and readers. The tags with a strong power source have a longer read range.
Before you make any decision about RFID or proximity cards, it is important to know some unique key features of RFID cards.
● RFID cards have a unique ID that automatically sends updates to the computer about the records and data such as temperature, location, date, and time.
● RFID tags are attached to the items that transmit the stored ID to the readers. When the attached items are passed by, the reader automatically scans the ID and gathers all information.
● The passive RFID tags did not need any batteries as they were activated by the reader's power source. Apart from these, the tags also have a long life.
● Unlike barcodes, RFID is useful for finding hidden objects. With the proper combination of tags, readers, surface material, and the environment, the RFID has the ability to find objects easily.
● The RFID, proximity, or Mifare cards are very useful as they are able to scan and collect data from multiple tags simultaneously.
● The RFID tags used are rough and tuff and can be long-lasting in contaminated or hazardous environments or in areas where there is a risk of explosions.
As we have clearly described the RFID or proximity cards you can now clearly know the importance of this technology in our daily life. We are here to provide you with the best RFID technology under expert observation and experienced technicians. Our main aim is to provide you with all the information so you can decide what is right for you.